Getting hunting fully implemented was surprisingly difficult. I had all the mechanics functioning on an individual test animal in time for the Patreon and Subscribestar post last Friday, but when I tried to get things copied into the existing animals, some were fleeing the moment I stepped into the map, some would stand completely still if another animal was triggered to flee, and all animals would respawn immediately on re-entering the map rather than disappearing until the next day. A few wouldn't even correctly despawn after fleeing.
It took all weekend, but all of that is fixed now. The reason some were fleeing immediately was due to a scripting issue that kept their self-switches activated, so all animals were reworked to have a fail-safe layer that turns those switches off. That didn't work at first because there was a coding issue that was operating the self-switch of other events, and that code has been updated to refer to "this map, this event" rather than specifying the map and event in question. With that (and some investigating that led to the fail-safe being implemented), multiple animals finally behaved the way they were supposed to, so all that was needed was to rework their drop tables to take your hunter level into account, then copy/paste the new reworked animals to replace the old ones.
I still need to do some testing to make sure I'm not missing something else that I haven't encountered, but reworking the code does mean I'm now able to do things like cause groups of animals to flee if you scare one of them. That's not a mechanic I intend to use often, but it's nice to have it as an option.
Hunting and farming were the two big new mechanics for v0.2 that were missing from v0.1, so from here on out, it's mostly new content. I say "mostly" because there are some additions to old content I need to make still.
For starters, Nadua doesn't really have her degrade or euphoria events. I think they can be triggered (I haven't tested it yet), but nothing happens, so those scenes need to be rendered and written. Related to that, since consent is important, I want to put in a choice for the player to either go along with the "attack" or literally fight them off, similar to how you get that option now if a captured character degrades to the point where they're "too far gone" and you have to fight them, but it's now your choice if you actually want to kill them.
Off the back of that, I want to rework training a bit so you have the option of Sparring in addition to "Training." As is, you can spar with Nadua and you can "Train" with Asgina, but you can't "Train" with Nadua (you can replay the scene and restore her Condition if you haven't done your daily training yet, but she doesn't get stats from it) and you can't spar with Asgina. Sparring with Nadua is also just a fade to black and a random number roll. While I want to keep that as a "basic drills" type of option so you can skip having to actually fight, I'm also thinking through how to eventually let you teach your party members each other's skills, and sparring manually will likely play a role in that.
The basics of that idea right now are still pretty early in the idea phase, so I don't want to get too in-depth here just yet. For now, all you need to know about training updates is that you'll still have a "skip - fade to black" option, a manual option where different outcomes (such as knocking out your sparring partner vs "capturing" them vs losing the fight) will have different effects that you should have at least some control over, and the "training" option to replay a scene that will have a different effect from sparring if you haven't trained yet that day and no effect if you've already trained and are just replaying the scene for your own enjoyment.
No comments:
Post a Comment