Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Maids & Masters (& Starting On v0.15.1)

It's still slow going getting back to working on MnM. Aside from doing a bit more work on the new demo (which you can read a little about over on Patreon) over the weekend, and something I may as well call burnout, I had some outside work come up, so I wasn't able to get much done. I was able to get some work done, but I also had RPG Maker crash on me for the first time in probably over a year and ended up losing some work. Not enough to lose everything, but enough to kill any momentum I might've built up. Since that means I can't really talk about what I've completed, I'll just talk about what I intend to complete for the v0.15.1 update.


There are two main things I want to add, plus a third smaller bit that I've been meaning to add but haven't been able to convince myself is enough of a priority. Love shack content, affection quests, and cult investigation extras.


For the love shack, there's six (technically seven) new characters I need to add. For the new Maids, there's Vicky, June, and Clover, plus the newer mothers, Setri, Caitlainn, and Celine. If you're wondering who Setri is and where you find her content, go back to Cumhaill and check Phoebe's old house. Her content has actually been in the game for a while, but I need to rework how you're able to access it a little. Due to how the Grow works in Act 2, you can't actually go inside Phoebe's old house, which means you can't progress with Setri very far even though she's available. As for that seventh character, she isn't in the game to recruit yet, but she will be in v0.16, so I want to get her love shack content done before I run into the same "it's side content and this update needs to be released" loop that's lead to none of this being done before now. So far, only Vicky's first conversation is done, with her second conversation being about half done due to the crash. I should be able to get at least the fireside chats done for Friday, but my goal is to convince myself to hunker down and get both the chats and the scenes done for the first test build this Friday.


The affection quests are something else I've been wanting to add and haven't due to wanting to keep up a release schedule and these quests being side content. If you're the sort of person that's thinking "why not just delay the release?" right now - I appreciate you, never change - but keeping a release schedule is vital to growth, and I've been growing in reverse for the past 5 months. I wrote about that in my previous post here on the blog if you want to know more. I have most of these quests written out, so all that's really left is to implement them, but that's 20 (21 if you count the optional Maid coming in v0.16) side quests that I need to implement, which is a major update's worth of content by itself. Even if I keep these quests fairly simple and stick to existing maps, it's probably going to take me 2-3 weeks to get all of these done.


The cult investigation extras are something I really should have put in the game from the start of Act 2, in hindsight. The cult investigation is something that I originally intended to end with the first half of Act 2, but now that I've reached that point in the story and took the time to experience the story so far as a player, that feels, in a word, incomplete. The problem with extending the investigation is that there are only four actions you can take to move to the "meeting" portion of those events, and there will be closer to seven segments by the time I've actually finished that part of the story. So, I want to add things you can do to get time to pass without actually "investigating" anything. This will probably just end up being bonus scenes with Griselda, Evdokia, and Willow (maybe also June and Chloe), but that will at least create enough extra content to get through the story without repeating anything (and give me the opportunity to add a trophy for not being an irredeemable hornball and repeating the scenes instead of doing the investigation).


All told, this is probably going to take me around 6 weeks to develop, especially with this funk I've been in lately bringing my productivity down. I'm hoping to find some momentum and get it all done faster than that, but it's a fairly large update. I may even split it into v0.15.1 and v0.15.2 and have the affection quests be their own update so I have something to release for May. It all depends on how things play out between now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Recent Update

Maids & Masters v0.15.1 Release